Keswick Ridge United Church

The Keswick Ridge United Church can trace its roots back to the descendants of the Mayflower Pilgrims and early Puritans, many of them Loyalists, who originated from Massachusetts and neighbouring colonies during the years 1762 -1784. These early people established settlements along the Saint John River at the present-day communities called Sheffield and Maugerville, New Brunswick. In 1763 they established a Congregational Church in Sheffield. About 1802, some families of these early settlers decided to relocate about thirty kilometers from Sheffield and Maugerville, upstream along the Saint John River, to a higher elevation and where land was fertile: the Keswick Ridge area.

Reverend David Smith

Rev. David Smith was born in the parish of Leuchars, County Fife, near St. Andrews, Scotland on July 8, 1732, the ninth of ten children. In the late 1730s, not yet a teenager, David began his studies. In 1749 David Smith was accepted at the University of St. Andrews and undertook his final training for the Burgher ministry under James Fisher, one of the original four, for a periods of four or five years (1752-1756).

Reverend Daniel Cock

Reverend Daniel Cock was born at Clydesdale (Scotland) and was ordained minister of Greenock. He was also a professor of divinity at the Associate Synod College. He was elected Moderator in 1755. In August, 1767, he was appointed to America for a year, but did not go. The same year that he arrived in Truro (1770), he returned to Scotland for his family. He was settled in Truro in 1772, and died in 1805.

Trinity United Church

Known as the “Brick Church,” Trinity United Church in Charlottetown, PEI has been present as a congregation for 150 years. The congregation can trace its roots back to 1774 when Benjamin Chappell started holding Methodist meetings in his home. The first Methodist Church in Charlottetown was built in 1816 but the congregation grew to the point where a larger church was needed. Trinity United Church is one of only three public buildings present in 1864 that are still standing today. As the Fathers of Confederation walked up the street from the boats that brought them to Charlottetown for the first meeting that led to the formation of Canada as a nation, they walked by this church.